iterative -SKO, -SKE

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri May 3 18:08:06 EDT 2002

At 8:41 PM +0000 5/3/02, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Carl wrote:
>
>-------
>>Could you provide some examples of verbs in perfective aspect that have an
>>iterative sense, Mark? I'm really curious as to what you might be talking
>>about. To be sure, there's the "gnomic aorist," but it isn't common enough
>>to account for "equal distribution of iterative (or even
>>interative--whatever that may be) forms between perfective and imperfective
>>tenses."
>-------
>
>To begin, here's a quote from Wallace, "...just as the aorist can
>be used in contexts that suggest iterative, progressive, or
>durative action, so too the future...." (GGBB, pg. 567).

And the immediately following sentence reads: "But, just as the aorist has
no progressive or iterative nuance in its basic aspect, likewise the future
should not be forced into such a mold."

>You have already noted the Gnomic, which is Interative in
>the Perfective tenses.

Maybe part of my problem is "interative"--I don't know what that word means.

>Let me list a few to see if we are thinking about the same thing.
>
>hOI PATERES hHMWN EN TWi OREI TOUTWi PROSEKUNHSAN
>
>"Our fathers repeatedly worshiped...

I think you're importing "repeatedly" into the aorist here; I don't think
anything more is being said in the verb PROSEKUNHSEN than that in fact the
ancestors DID worship on the mountain in question. If there were any
intention of indicating specifically that they worshipped REPEATEDLY on the
mountain, I believe the verb would have been PROSEKUNOUN.

>KUWN EPISTREYAS EPI TO IDION EXERAMA KAI hUS LOUSAMENH...
>
>pigs repeatedly wollow (same with dogs, each time they vomit...)

"wallow"? This does look like a gnomic aorist to me.

>DIA TOUTO KAGW AKOUSAS THN KAQ' hUMAS PISTIN...
>
>One could equally argue that Paul repeatedly heard this from
>many people... (In fact, AKOUW would be a fairly common verb
>that would reflect an iterative idea.)

Perhaps one could argue that, but I certainly wouldn't. I'd expect
"repeatedly hearing" to be expressed by AKOUWN.

>EIDOTES hOT hO EAN TI EKASTOS POIHSi AGAQON, TOUTO KOMIEITAI
>PARA TOU KURIOU...
>
>Each time one does a good thing, he receives...

This is a conditional construction in the future; while the principle might
be exemplified recurrently, what's stated is the single instance.

>PLHRWSATE MOU THN CARAN hINA TO AUTO FRONHTE...
>
>"Be repeatedly fulfilling my joy" would be as acceptable as
>"for now, fulfill my joy this one time."

I'm dumbfounded by this; from your usage I can't see any reason why one
would choose to use an aorist rather than a present tense imperative. I
would read this rather as, "make my joy full (get it accomplished!) ..."

>The mystery, that is NUNI DE EFANERWQH TOIS hAGIOS AUTOU
>
>... is being revealed, is repeatedly being revealed to us,
>the mystery is not something one understands at one sitting...

You're confusing the fact of revelation with the process of understanding.

>KAQWS PAREKALESA SE PROSMEINAI EN EFESWi...
>
>How many times Paul besought Timothy is unknown, but one could
>argue equally that he besought him only once, or repeatedly.

I'd translate this, "As I have urged you to stay in Ephesus ..." While the
urging may have been done more than once or twice, the verb form, as I see
it, only indicates that Paul has in fact urged Timothy. As above, I would
think that if he intended to indicate specifically that he'd urged him
repeatedly, he would have written PAREKALOUN.

>KAI CARIN ECW TWi ENDUNAMWSANTI ME CRISTWi IHSOU ....
>
>Again, Paul is repeatedly empowered by Christ during his ministry.

And you honestly think that the repeated action is clearly implicit in
ENDUNAMWSANTI? Perhaps one shot of power wasn't enough to do the trick?
Once again, I see only simple fact here; I don't see any clear iteration.