iterative -SKO, -SKE

Mark Wilson emory2oo2 at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 16:41:57 EDT 2002

Carl wrote:

-------
>Could you provide some examples of verbs in perfective aspect that have an
>iterative sense, Mark? I'm really curious as to what you might be talking
>about. To be sure, there's the "gnomic aorist," but it isn't common enough
>to account for "equal distribution of iterative (or even
>interative--whatever that may be) forms between perfective and imperfective
>tenses."
-------

To begin, here's a quote from Wallace, "...just as the aorist can
be used in contexts that suggest iterative, progressive, or
durative action, so too the future...." (GGBB, pg. 567).

You have already noted the Gnomic, which is Interative in
the Perfective tenses.

Let me list a few to see if we are thinking about the same thing.

hOI PATERES hHMWN EN TWi OREI TOUTWi PROSEKUNHSAN

"Our fathers repeatedly worshiped...

KUWN EPISTREYAS EPI TO IDION EXERAMA KAI hUS LOUSAMENH...

pigs repeatedly wollow (same with dogs, each time they vomit...)

DIA TOUTO KAGW AKOUSAS THN KAQ' hUMAS PISTIN...

One could equally argue that Paul repeatedly heard this from
many people... (In fact, AKOUW would be a fairly common verb
that would reflect an iterative idea.)

EIDOTES hOT hO EAN TI EKASTOS POIHSi AGAQON, TOUTO KOMIEITAI
PARP TOU KURIOU...

Each time one does a good thing, he receives...

PLHRWSATE MOU THN CARAN hINA TO OUTO FRONHTE...

"Be repeatedly fulfilling my joy" would be as acceptable as
"for now, fulfill my joy this one time."

The mystery, that is NUNI DE EFANERWQH TOIS hAGIOS AUTOU

... is being revealed, is repeatedly being revealed to us,
the mystery is not something one understands at one sitting...

KAQWS PAREKALESA SE PROSMEINAI EN EFESWi...

How many times Paul besought Timothy is unknown, but one could
argue equally that he besought him only once, or repeatedly.

KAI CARIN ECW TWi ENDUNAMWSANTI ME CRISTWi IHSOU ....

Again, Paul is repeatedly empowered by Christ during his ministry.

Literally, I could go on all day. So I simply must be misunderstanding
you, or I am using the Interative aspect different than you use it.
Or, maybe we are using the Perfective tenses differently.
But as always, I remain open to correction by you. Where am I off?

Mark Wilson