iterative -SKO, -SKE

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri May 3 15:43:46 EDT 2002

At 7:24 PM +0000 5/3/02, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Clay wrote:
>
>--------
>> > Yes, this was the main point. If you want to communicate an
>> > iterative notion
>> > in Koine you do it through lexical choice, not by inflection.
>
>To which Iver appears to question whether iterative aspect should
>more so be connected to inflection, not the lexeme, and wrote:
>
>----------
>>Since iterative means repeated action, I am wondering whether the
>>imperfective aspect would not be most suitable for an iterative sense? Of
>>course, imperfective has other uses, but given the right context, I would
>>expect a Greek imperfect tense.
>--------
>
>Simply based on my understanding of iterative, I would be suprised
>to find an interative aspect associated with the Imperfective tenses
>more so than with the Perfective tenses. I would expect it to be
>fairly equally distributed. I say this partly because you can find
>the same verb with the same inflection in different contexts,
>where one is not iterative and the other is. Would not the iterative
>aspect be somewhat visually represented as this:

Could you provide some examples of verbs in perfective aspect that have an
iterative sense, Mark? I'm really curious as to what you might be talking
about. To be sure, there's the "gnomic aorist," but it isn't common enough
to account for "equal distribution of iterative (or even
interative--whatever that may be) forms between perfective and imperfective
tenses."

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com