Lord's Prayer - newer version

richard smith rbsads at aol.com
Fri May 3 06:44:22 EDT 2002

Thanks to those who responded to my questions, both on and off list.  The
points made with regard to the theology and the significance of PEIRASMOS
have expanded its meaning to me greatly.

But my question was not related specifically to any distinction between
trial and temptation.

My concern is the role of God, or the role of the Holy Spirit, in our
testing, trials, and temptations.

My question is more focused toward the verb MH EISENEGKHiS.  The new
version translates "save" which seems to me to render a different meaning
that a more literal "do not lead."

And the scriptural allusions that seem to be missed with the translation
of "save" include Jesus' temptation, Gethsemane, and the instruction to
the disciples at Gethsemane to stay awake and pray not to fall into
temptation. The missed allusions are not important in themselves, unless
the prayer intends to point to a theme that is consistent in scripture
regarding temptation and God’s role in temptation.

The lectionary reading for this week comes also to mind. John 15:1-15.

Is it our prayer that God save us from temptation (I picture something of
a prayer for a deus ex machina) or that God not lead us into temptation
(here I picture a deity who in love works to strengthen faith and
dependence on Him)?

But, again I am not asking for a theological discussion, only about how
the verb EISQERW is best rendered in the context of this prayer,
especially with regard to the role of the Holy Spirit.

Thanks,

Richard Smith
Chattanooga, TN