iterative -SKO, -SKE

Manolis Nikolaou aei_didaskomenos at hotmail.com
Thu May 2 18:24:17 EDT 2002

> In another thread the subject of iterative verb forms came up. I spent an
> hour looking into this question. It appears that Homer and Herodotus had a
> suffix -SKO/E which served to mark a verb as iterative. However, by the
> Hellenistic period things had changed.
>
> DIDASKW in the NT & LXX still has this form but the suffix is not
> "productive" and for that reason should not be regarded as an inflection. If
> the suffix were productive we would see it attached to numerous verbs where
> the iterative idea was required and we would see the same verb without the
> suffix where iteration was not present. What we do find is that DIDASKW is
> simply a word which includes iteration as a semantic component. The -SK is
> not a portable component.
>
> See Robertson pp. 150,352; Monro #48,#49; Smyth #495; Moulton p383.
>
> --
> Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
> Three Tree Point
> P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062

According to most Greek grammars, iteration in verbs (produced by other
verbs) is regularly denoted by the suffixes -AZW, -IZW, -UZW . The ending
-SKW is considered to denote the beginning of an action (that's why -SKW
verbs are usually described as ENARKTIKA).
However, no matter what the semantic aspects of -SKW might initialy have
been, it certainly didn't function anymore as a productive suffix in NT
Greek. As far as I know, this remark applies to any other verbal suffix as
well.

Regards,
Manolis Nikolaou
Greece