Lord's Prayer - newer version

richard smith rbsads at aol.com
Thu May 2 07:07:35 EDT 2002

Mt 6:13 KAI MH EISEVEGKHS hHMAS EIS PEIRASMON

I had expressed concerns to my priest regarding the new version of the
Lord's Prayer which translates the above as, "Save us from the time of
trial."

My concerns had always been based on the English translations of Matthew
and Luke, and my priest assured me that the Greek would support the modern
version.

However, it does not seem to me that the Greek text does support the
modern version.

And in my opinion there is a significant difference between praying that
God save us from trial or praying that He not lead us into temptation.

Is the modern version a fair rendering of the Greek?

Does "Save us from trial" change the prayer which Jesus taught?

Peace,

Richard Smith
Chattanooga, TN