God so loved the world

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed May 1 04:56:13 EDT 2002

At 10:45 PM -0500 4/30/02, boyd at huxcomm.net wrote:
>Richard wrote:
><<Just checking my understanding of the sense of Greek in Jn
>3:16, which is somewhat different from my previous understanding.
>Until now I guess my assumption had been that "so loved" was an
>expression of the amount of love God has for the world.
>Now however it seems that the verse is better understood as "God
>loved the world in this way.">>
>
>You might want to look at an article that deals with this exact topic.
>Robert Gundry and Russell Howell, "The Sense and Syntax of John
>3:14-17 with Special Reference to the Use of hOUTWS . . .
>hWSTE in John 3:16," _Novum Testamentum_ XLI, 1 (1999): 24-39.
>
>I won't reproduce their argumentation, but their lexical conclusions
>are the following (p. 35):
>
>   "Although hOUTWS, like hOUTOS, may occasionally refer
>forward, it usually refers backward, and does so in Johannine
>literature nearly always, if not absolutely always.  Furthermore, in
>combination with hWSTE, hOUTWS regularly refers to something
>expressed prior to the hWSTE-clause and itself expresses a
>manner other than one of high degree.  hWSTE, in turn, adds
>something more or less parallel to the earlier referent of hOUTWS."
>
>Carl, have you had a chance to read this article, and if so, how
>would you evaluate it?

I think Iver has already offered a pretty good response; I have already
said my say on the matter in the thread two years ago, but of course
everyone will need to evaluate the evidence and reach his or her own
judgment on the matter: on this matter, as on so many of interpretation,
opinions differ--so what else is new?

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com