Galatians 2:16 EAN MH

Steven Lo Vullo slovullo at mac.com
Fri Mar 29 17:03:01 EST 2002

on 3/29/02 3:35 PM, Glenn Blank at glennblank at earthlink.net wrote:

> I wrote,
>
>> So should I conclude
>> that EAN MH and ALLA share a logical structure in Greek in a way that "but"
>> and "if not" do not in English?  Or did Paul choose EAN MH instead of ALLA
>> for some type of rhetorical effect?  Or?
>
> Steve wrote (I think, but I am paraphrasing here) that the text is clearly
> saying that we are not justified by the works of the law but by faith in
> Christ.
>
> I still contend, though, that
>
>> changing EAN MH to ALLA makes the text say something different than
>> what it does

Glenn, I wasn't suggesting substituting ALLA for EAN MH, since I think EAN
MH makes perfect sense as is. The idea, in context, is, I think, perhaps
stronger than could be expressed by ALLA. It not only rules out DIKAIWSIS by
ERGWN NOMOU, but emphasizes that DIKAIWSIS is exclusively DIA PISTEWS IHSOU
CRISTOU. It is not just marking an adversative relationship between
DIKAIWSIS EX ERGWN NOMOU and DIKAIWSIS DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU, but goes
somewhat further in affirming that DIKAIWSIS is exclusively DIA PISTEWS
IHSOU CRISTOU ("a person is not justified EXCEPT through faith in Jesus
Christ").

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo at mac.com