Galatians 2:16 EAN MH

Steven Lo Vullo slovullo at mac.com
Fri Mar 29 14:55:19 EST 2002

on 3/29/02 1:16 PM, Michael Abernathy at mabernat at cub.kcnet.org wrote:

> EIDOTES hOTI OU  DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS EX ERGWN NOMOU EAN MH DIA PISTEWS IHSOU
> CRISTOU
>
> In another forum we have been discussing whether EAN MH should be translated
> as adversative or exceptive.  What does EAN MH modify in Galatians 2:16 OU
> DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS   or  EX ERGWN NOMOU?

EAN is a subordinate conditional conjunction marking a conditional clause
dependent on DIKAIOUTAI. OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS must be understood both with
EX ERGWN NOMOU *and* EAN MH DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU, since both modify it.
In order to better understand the relationship of both to DIKAIOUTAI, break
the clause down as follows:

OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS EX ERGWN NOMOU (a person is not justified by works of
the law)

OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS ... EAN MH DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU (a person is not
justified except/unless through faith in Jesus Christ)

The point is that a person is NOT justified by works of the law, but is ONLY
justified through faith in Jesus Christ.

I don't see any way possible for EAN MH to modify EX ERGWN NOMOU, since it
introduces the subordinate clause EAN MH DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU, which is
no doubt dependent on DIKAIOUTAI.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo at mac.com