Teaching Greek on Blackboard

Erik Westwig ewestwig at palisade.com
Thu Mar 28 09:44:07 EST 2002

Hi Susan,

I've been thinking a little about Greek fonts recently as well.  I'm a
software engineer, and on-and-off I've been writing a converter to read the
transliterated Greek people use in their posts to the B-Greek discussion
group, and display them in a Greek font.  I have a hard enough time reading
Greek with normal Greek letters, and the extra step of transliteration often
makes me give up.  For my program, I need a good, free Greek font.  While I
haven't settled on this yet, I'm leaning towards Bill Mounce's
"TekniaGreek".

Contrary to what your post implies, "TekniaGreek" is also in the public
domain.  To quote his website:  "It is absolutely free without any
restrictions, both its design and its mapping -- we would encourage you to
adopt it in your writing, programming, and websites."  You may be
remembering his older font, called "Mounce", which I think you were allowed
to use if you bought his book, but I don't think you were allowed to freely
distribute or repackage in any way.

I've used "Mounce" (and "TekniaGreek" to a lesser extent) for about a year,
and while it has its quirks, I've gotten used to them, and I like how it
looks on the page.  I recently downloaded SPIonic and have played with it a
little, but I think the letters don't scale nearly as well.  I've never
tried Galilee, how does it compare?

Good Luck,
Erik

Erik Westwig