Romans 5:15

Glenn Blank glennblank at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 27 04:58:21 EST 2002

>From: "Jack Stewart" <jack_stewart_ at hotmail.com>
>Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:46:27 +0000
>
>Dear All,
>
>I am having a little trouble attempting to understand a small point
>regarding the syntax of Romans 5:15.  In the second half of the verse there

>appears the article TH (sg.dat.fem.) after (I think) the noun to which it
>belongs.  Is there a reason for this, or does the article indicate
something
>else altogether?
>
>Many thanks!
>
>Jack Stewart

hH DWREA EN CARITI THi TOU hENOS ANQRWPOU IHSOU CRISTOU

Hi Jack.

In this case, THi is not an article but a relative pronoun (sometimes known
as a "postpostive article.)  The two are distinct in form for sg.nom.mas (hO
for the article, hOS for the relative pronoun), but are indistinguishable in
form for fem.

Hence, I would translate Romans 5:15   ". . . grace *which* [is] of one man,
Jesus Christ."

An instance of both the "prepositive" article and the "postpositive"
relative pronoun in the same context is 2 Tim. 2:1 --

EN THi CARITI THi EN CRISTWi IHSOU

glenn blank
Pensacola FL