Ephesians 4:26

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Mar 26 17:28:35 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/26/2002 12:36:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aei_didaskomenos at hotmail.com writes:

> > Dear Manolis,
> > I am enjoying your posts. Thanks. Would you mind explaning the last
> > statement?
> > Are commands more analytical than participial clauses?
> >
> > Moon
> > Moon R. Jung
> > Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea
>

> Dear Moon,
>
> I'm really happy for enjoying you with my posts. However, before being
> ironical, you should have taken into consideration the fact that Greek is
> my mother tongue:  since KOINH, from which modern Greek is derived, is not
> to me a "foreign" tongue the way it is to you, let me assume that its
> vocabulary, grammar and syntax are much more familiar to me than they are
> to you, no?
>
> Now. Unless you try to be more specific and make clear whether you
> disagree or not (and why) with my assumption that "ORGIZESQE KAI MH
> AMARTANETE" is equal to "ORGIZOMENOI MH AMARTANETE", I'm afraid I can't
> give a satisfactory answer to the question of yours. However, I haven't
> said that "commands are more analytical than participial clauses", but
> that structures like "ORGIZESQE KAI MH AMARTANETE" (instead of the much
> more clear "ORGIZOMENOI MH AMARTANETE") should be interpreted as a result
> of the gradual replacement of the participial structures in later Greek by
> more analytical equivalents.
>
> Well, dear Moon, I hope I've managed to entertain you for once more.
>
> Regards,
> Manolis Nikolaou
> Greece

Manolis,

I don't believe Moon was attempting to be ironic by his statement.  I might
remind you that although English is not your native language (and you may
therefore be sensitive that someone might consider your English humorous at
times), Moon's native language, to the best of my knowlege, IS ALSO NOT
ENGLISH.  I think rather that he was honestly puzzled (as I am) by your
statement

"that structures like 'ORGIZESQE KAI MH AMARTANETE' (instead of the much more
clear 'ORGIZOMENOI MH AMARTANETE') should be interpreted as a result
of the gradual replacement of the participial structures in later Greek by
more analytical equivalents."

If you can avoid feeling insulted, I too would like to understand what you
mean by this.

gfsomsel