ECONTES in rom 8.23

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Mar 24 07:21:28 EST 2002

At 10:09 PM -0600 3/23/02, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>Rom 8.23: OU MONON DE, ALLA\ KAI AUTOI THN APARCHN TOU PNEUMATOS ECONTES,
>hHMEIS KAI AUTOI EN hEAUTOIS STENAZOMEN hUIOQESIAN APEKDECOMENOI, THN
>APOLUTRWSIN TOU SWMATOS hHMWN.
>
>It seems that KAI AUTOI are emphatic, being repeated later in the sentence.
>My trouble is in understanding ECONTES. Is it adjectival, qualifying AUTOI
>(or implied hHMEIS, which is explicit later in the sentence)? Or is it
>adverbial, modifying STENAZOMEN? Or does it have a function that I have
>overlooked?

I'd take it as adverbial, explaining why it is that we "groan"

The preceding verse: OIDAMEN GAR hOTI PASA hH KTISIS SUSTENAZEI KAI
SUNWDINEI ACRI TOU NUN; I assume that this STENAZEIN refers to the
conventional apocalyptic image of the pains of childbirth for the suffering
or QLIYIS of the transition from this world age to the age to come.
Inasmuch as "even we" have the "first-fruits of the Spirit" and so somehow
SENSE the agony of creation about to give birth to the new age, we too
"groan."

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com