Titus 1:1

Clwinbery at aol.com Clwinbery at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 20:13:03 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/18/02 9:32:39 PM, emory2oo2 at hotmail.com writes:

>PAULOS DOULOS QEOU APOSTOLOS DE IHSOU CRISTOU
>KATA PISTIN EKLEKTWN QEOU KAI EPIGNWSIN ALHQEIAS THS KAT' EUSEBEIAN
>

>Is Paul saying that he is a bondslave and apostle
>based on his faith?  I'm not quite understanding what
>it means by "the faith of God's elect."
>
>How does THS function here? Should we understand it in this way:
>
>THS [ALHQEIAS] KAT' EUSEBEIAN

Mark, I think that KATA is used here with the accusative in a relationship
that I have learned as reference, i.e. in accordance with, with reference to,
etc. In fact in the first five verses KATA is used five time, four of them as
reference and the last as a distributive, "in every city." "in accordance
with faith,. . . in accordance with godliness, . . . in accordance with God's
order, . . . in accordance with the common faith."

It seems to me that PISTIN EKLEKTWN QEOU means about the same as KATA KOINHN
PISTIN in verse 5.

The article THS places the following prep. phrase in a midifying relationship
with ALHQEIAS. The article often shows the grammatical relationship of
elements in the sentence. More often than not in such cases the same article
would precede ALHQEIAS. I tell students that they can translate the article a
lot like a relative pronoun, "truth which is . . ."

Carlton L. Winbery
Louisiana College