1 Cor. 11:24-25

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Mar 15 13:01:31 EST 2002

At 10:08 AM -0600 3/15/02, Rob Matlack wrote:
>Tony, thanks for the Web site address giving information on the cups at
>Passover.
>
>However, I did not see any comments concerning the Greek text
>
>> 24 KAI EUCARISTHSAS EKLASE KAI EIPE LABETE FAGETE TOUTO MOU ESTI
>> TO SWMA TO
>> hUPER hUMWN KLWMENON TOUTO POIEITE EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN 25
>> hWSAUTWS KAI TO
>> POTHRION META TO DEIPNHSAI LEGWN TOUTO TO POTHRION hH KAINH
>> DIAQHKH ESTIN EN
>> TW EMWi hAIMATI TOUTO POIEITE hOSAKIS AN PINHTE EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN
>
>Perhaps my previous post was unclear. The question is this: Is there any
>grammatical support for the idea that the bread was broken after supper?
>Thanks in advance for any comments.
>
>> Is the prepositional phrase META TO DEIPNHSAI in v 25 related to
>> TO POTHRION
>> or to hWSAUTWS? In other words did He, in a similar manner to the
>> way He had
>> taken the bread, take the cup, the cup which happened to be the cup that
>> came after the meal, or as He had taken the bread after the meal
>> He so also
>> after the meal took the cup? It seems to me most natural to take it the
>> first way with META TO DEIPNHSAI as related to TO POTHRION. The word order
>> seems to support this. Taken just from this passage, if taken in this way,
>> this would allow for the bread to be broken at the beginning of the meal,
>> would it not?

Actually I don't think META TO DEIPNHSAI can go with either hWSAUTWS or TO
POTHRION--once again it's a matter of what an adverb or adverbial phrase
can govern; I think it can legitimately be construed ONLY with an implicit
verbal expression such as 'EUCARISTHSAS EDIDOU TOIS MAQHTAIS.' I think,
however, that the text of this passage in comparison with the Synoptic
formulations is very problematic, and I think there are probably reams of
bibliography on it.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com