Intrusive apostrophe

B. Ward Powers bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
Fri Mar 15 00:12:46 EST 2002

Dear all,

At 12:51 AM 020315 +0000, Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote:
>At 18:05 14/03/02, Rob Matlack wrote:
>
>>"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on
>>it's behalf."--Blaise Pascal
>
>Rob:
>I know that Pascal isn't to blame for that intrusive apostrophe -- but
>let's honour his memory and leave it out <g>
>

>Maurice A. O'Sullivan  [ Bray, Ireland ]
>mauros at iol.ie

Hear, hear! Quite right. Many other list members have used this same
intrusive apostrophe, though, in recent years.

An apostrophe s either indicates possession or relationship when it goes on
a noun (as in "the president's friend"), that is, equivalent of "of", Greek
genitive; or an abbreviation. Note that the first type of apostrophe s does
not occur with a pronoun - it is not correct to write hi's, her's, their's
or your's - or it's.

So the only time it is correct to write "it's" is when it is an
abbreviation for "it is" or "it has".

Let's get our English right, as well as our Greek.

Regards,

Ward

                                http://www.netspace.net.au/~bwpowers
Rev Dr B. Ward Powers        Phone (International): 61-2-8714-7255
259A Trafalgar Street          Phone (Australia): (02) 8714-7255
PETERSHAM  NSW  2049      email: bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
AUSTRALIA.                         Director, Tyndale College