Hebrews 5 7-8

DEXROLL at aol.com DEXROLL at aol.com
Thu Mar 14 14:00:08 EST 2002

5.7 HOS  EN TAIS  HMERAIS THS SARKOS  AUTOU DEHSEIS TE KAI IKETHRIAS PROS TON
DUNAMENON SWZEIN AUTON EK QANATOU META KRAUGHS ISCURAS KAI DAKRUWN
PROSENEGKAS KAI EISAKOUSQEIS APO THS EULABEIAS 5.8 KAIPER WN UIOS EMAQEN AF
WN EPAQEN THN UPAKOHN.

I am going through Hebrews and came to this passage and thought I would
solicit some comments from the others on the list.

In the recent threads which concerned word order it seems hard to determine
sometimes the referent for a verb, especially in this case where the verb
PROSENEGKAS is delayed in the sentence.  It seems to refer to DEHSEIS TE KAI
IKETHRIAS, but are there alternatives to this ?  Or do both verbs --
PROSENEGKAS KAI EISAKOUSQEIS refer back to DEHSEIS TE KAI IKETHRIAS ?

You also have the difficult phrase  EISAKOUSQEIS APO THS EULABEIAS, which has
troubled many commentators.  BAG notes that it could be translated either
"heard because of his piety" or "heard (and rescued) from his anxiety".  Now
these are rather diferent ways of taking this phrase. It seems to turn on how
to construe the preposition PRO and whether to consrue the term EULABEIAS as
either piety (godly fear) or anxiety.  The first option seems more likely.
There is a discussion by Bultmann in TDNT that agrees with the second option
and refers to "the text being corrupt"  and that one must add OUK before
EISAKOUSQEIS.  This seems quite odd to me??  Would that then mean "he was NOT
heard because of his anxiety"  ?   How then would that connect to the next
point that he learned obedience by the things that he suffered? What do some
of you think ?

David Rollins - dexroll at aol.com

    "A Christian is one who recognizes Jesus as the Christ, the Son of the
Living God, as God manifested in the flesh, loving us and dying for our
redemption; and who is so affected by a sense of the love of this incarnate
God as to be constrained to make the will of Christ the rule of his
obedience, and the glory of Christ the great end for which he lives."

Charles Hodge in John Piper’s, A Godward Life