Jesus'corpse:corrigendum

porson porson at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 8 11:57:08 EST 2002

Carl et al.:

I must apologize for an error in my last post: SHMA is not cognate with
the Sanskrit to know (jiv), but rather with the Sanskrit for thought
(dhya-man).

Videor non festinasse lente.

Also, I recently came across a citation from Phrynichus in which he
censured the use of PTWMA for corpse, preferring SWMA, it would seem
because of its antiquity.

My thought on this is that since he was an atticist in an age when the
true attic had long since passed into anachronism, and since, with the
zealotry of the newly converted, he did not shy from criticizing and
rejecting the usages of authors such as Plato and Euripides, this opinion
is somewhat suspect.

At any rate, that's it for me and my slovenliness.

Porson