Part of First Tim. 4:10

Daniel Streett danstreett at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 23:38:00 EST 2002

Waldo,

There are two ways of addressing this. One is to say that
SWTHR carries the more common, "secular" meaning of
preserver, rescuer. S. Baugh has an article (in WTJ I
think) that argues for this meaning based on Ephesian
inscriptions. The focus on physical preservation would
complement the author's statement in 4:10a that he suffers
physically. He suffers precisely because he trusts that God
will specially preserve him.

The other way is argued by T. C. Skeat, who offers evidence
from papyri, etc. He contends that MALISTA can be more than
an intensifier. It can serve as a qualifier. It would thus
be more equivalent to the Latin 'id est.' You could then
read PAS here as ethnically inclusive rather than
universal. God is the savior of all [Jews and Gentiles],
that is of those who believe.

Daniel Streett
Yale Divinity School