Hearing: Luke 10:24 tenses of the infinitives

Randall Buth ButhFam at compuserve.com
Thu Mar 7 19:41:48 EST 2002

shalom gfsomsel,

>Really?!!  How so?  I don't see how hearing it would have clarified it
>whatsoever.  I could, however, be wrong so please explain.
>
>gfsomsel

It would have helped to quote a fuller part of my reply:

>>both IDEIN and AKOUSAI are aorist.
>>It would have helped to have been hearing these forms.
>>
>>The accent on IDEIN is    idEIN (final syllable).
>>And aorist of course, is the default/simple infinitive for most verbs.

Aorist infinitives that do not use -sai
will attract the accent on their -ein:

LABEIN is accented on -EIN
EUREIN is accented on -EIN
ELQEIN is accented on -EIN
BALEIN is accented on -EIN

KAI TA LOIPA

[[Of course, that is not an absolute indication, because verbs with
"hidden -E-" will also accent continuative infinitives in -EIN
POIEIN (accented -EIN) vs. POIHSAI (accented -H-)
BOHQEIN (accented -EIN) vs. BOHQHSAI (accented -QH-)
FILEIN (accented -EIN) vs. FILHSAI (accented -LH-)]]

Nevertheless "it would have helped to be hearing these forms"
and IDEIN hits the eye-brain-ear as  "idEIN" (accent on -EIN)
and a reminder of its aorist stem-iness.

ERRWSO

Randall Buth