DOMATA in Mal 1:3

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Wed Jan 30 08:16:52 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/30/2002 7:36:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Andrew.Wergeland at mf.no writes:

>Okay.  GFSOMSEL thinks DOMATA is a form of DOMOS spelled wrong and >Cees
>thinks it is actually DWMATA.  Correct?
>Next question:  Where did Cees find this conjecture?  I am using the
>Göttingen LXX for the first time and don't see this suggestion there nor in
>Rahlf's.

Mistakes, whether DOMATA for DWMATA or DOMATA for DOMOUS would only be
attested in Rahlfs if there was actual documentary evidence that someone had
corrected the form at some point.  Since

TON DE HSAU EMISHSA KAI ETACA TA hORIA AUTOU EIS AFANISMON KAI THN
KLHRONOMIAN AUTOU EIS DOMATA ERHMOU

translates the MT

W:)eT_("&fW &fN")TiY Wf&iYM )eT_HfRfYW $:MfMfH W:)T_NaX:aLfToW L:TaN.oWT
MiD:B.fR

Here DWMATA = NaX:aLfToW "his heritege".  As was noted (by Cees?) "gifts"
simply doesn't fit.  The puzzle is that no one seems to have felt the need to
correct it.  We find all kinds of "corrections" in the NT.  If no one
corrects it, there is no documentary evidence.  If there is no documentary
evidence, Rahlfs will not list it.

gfsomsel