1 Thess 5:10

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Wed Jan 30 02:44:43 EST 2002

> on 1/29/02 12:39 PM, Iver Larsen wrote:
>
> > 1 Thess 5:10 says
> > hINA EITE GRHGORWMEN EITE KAQEUDWMEN hAMA SUN AUTWi ZHSWMEN.
> >
> > My question is about the sense of the two verbs. Let me suggest
> > alternatives:
> > Does GRHGOREW here mean
> > 1) be literally awake
> > 2) be watchful, alert, spiritually awake
> > 3) be physically alive
> >
> > Does KAQEUDW here mean
> > 1) be literally asleep
> > 2) be dull, spiritually asleep
> > 3) be physically dead

> Note that OI EGRHGOROI in various forms is used about 12 times in 1 Enoch
> 1-32 (Codex Panopolitanus) for angelic beings both good and evil.
> Does this have any impact on 1 Thess 5:10? Probably not. However, it is a
bit of
> lexical data you may not have encountered in the standard lexicons.

Clay, you are right on both counts. I had not encountered this, and I don't
think it is particularly relevant for the use here, except to support my
suspicion that option 3 is impossible for GREGORHEW since it is never
attested. Angelic beings are watching (keeping vigil) over humans, that is
fair enough. I am not sure the variant form EGRHGOREW can be used in any
other sense than keeping vigil. In the NT the two seem to have merged.

Iver Larsen