DOMATA in Mal 1:3

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 20:25:31 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/29/2002 7:45:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Andrew.Wergeland at mf.no writes:

>As far as I can tell, the word DOMATA (in Mal 1:3) is accusative plural of
>the neuter noun DOMA and means "gifts".  Brenton (according to BibleWorks)
>translates it as "dwellings" and is supported in this by a commentary on
>Malachi by D. L. Petersen.  I see the similarity between the words DOMA and
>DOMOS, but is it possible to understand DOMATA as a form of DOMOS?

Did you ever read a book and encounter the term "indexes"?  The plural of
"index" is "indices."  Of course it's possible.  Did you ever notice the
variant forms that appear for various words in a lexicon?  Here is an entry
from the "middle Liddell"

A-BEBAIOS, ON, uncertain, unsteady; TO ABEBAION = ABEBAIOTHS, Luc.

Apparently Lucian used a different form.

Even books which are edited and proofread have errors.  Why shouldn't Greek
handwriten documents?  Wat does ya thimk - that they ain't gonna make no errs?

gfsomsel