1 Thess 5:10

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 29 17:40:24 EST 2002

on 1/29/02 12:39 PM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> 1 Thess 5:10 says
> hINA EITE GRHGORWMEN EITE KAQEUDWMEN hAMA SUN AUTWi ZHSWMEN.
>
> My question is about the sense of the two verbs. Let me suggest
> alternatives:
> Does GRHGOREW here mean
> 1) be literally awake
> 2) be watchful, alert, spiritually awake
> 3) be physically alive
>
> Does KAQEUDW here mean
> 1) be literally asleep
> 2) be dull, spiritually asleep
> 3) be physically dead
>
> I could look the words up in the dictionary, which I have. But I have
> reasons to be suspicious of the dictionaries for this particular instance,
> because they suggest a sense for these two words in this particular context
> that is different from the senses attested in all other occurrences of the
> same words in the GNT. It is implied in the context of 1 Thess 5:10 that the
> two verbs refers to the time/event of the parousia.

Iver,

Note that OI EGRHGOROI in various forms is used about 12 times in 1 Enoch
1-32 (Codex Panopolitanus) for angelic beings both good and evil. Does this
have any impact on 1 Thess 5:10? Probably not. However, it is a bit of
lexical data you may not have encountered in the standard lexicons.

Also, note that John Nelson Darby* goes with option #3. And of course Darby
is right, isn't he?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*pages 107-8, Darby, John Nelson Synopsis of the Books of the Bible: Vol 5:
Colossians - RevelationLondon: G Morrish Cloth. 568 pages. Date ??? late
19th century.

Off Topic Observation on Darby:

Just picked up my copy of Darby last night. Another curio. Gotta break this
habit of buying curio books just because the are somewhat rare. Actually, I
know a pastor in Oregon somewhere who collects old dispensationalists and I
am going to send him the book if I can locate him.