1 Thess 5:10

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 16:37:27 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/29/2002 3:37:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
iver_larsen at sil.org writes:

> My question is about the sense of the two verbs. Let me suggest
> alternatives:
> Does GRHGOREW here mean
> 1) be literally awake
> 2) be watchful, alert, spiritually awake
> 3) be physically alive
>
> Does KAQEUDW here mean
> 1) be literally asleep
> 2) be dull, spiritually asleep
> 3) be physically dead

 AND THE ANSWER IS (drumroll, please) #3.

I think I understand why you have some reservations.  In v. 6 the pair
KAQEUD*/GRHGOR* are used to indicate those whom he classifies as children of
darkness/children of light.  He appears to have changed the significance of
the words here.  Putting aside any theological issue, it would be
inconceiveable to speak of being "children of light" and therefore "awake"
(by which I would understand "spiritually alive") and yet be able to speak of
the possibility of being either awake or asleep.

gfsomsel