DOMATA in Mal 1:3

Cees van Veelen cees at vanveelen.xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 29 08:22:57 EST 2002

> As far as I can tell, the word DOMATA (in Mal 1:3) is accusative plural of
> the neuter noun DOMA and means "gifts".  Brenton (according to BibleWorks)
> translates it as "dwellings" and is supported in this by a commentary on
> Malachi by D. L. Petersen.  I see the similarity between the words DOMA and
> DOMOS, but is it possible to understand DOMATA as a form of DOMOS?

There is a correction suggested to read DWMATA (with omega). That would
translate as dwellings.
Anyway - 'gifts of the desert' does not make much sense here, as 'dwellings of
the desert' does. So I do understand the argument for the correction. The hebrew
has something else: jackals of the desert.

Greetings,
Cees van Veelen, Amsterdam, The Netherlands