1 Tim 2:7

Mark Wilson emory2oo2 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:50:57 EST 2002

Iver:

You wrote:

------
>1 Tim 2:7 EIS hO ETEQHN EGW KHRUX KAI APOSTOLOS, ALHQEIAN LEGW OU YEUDOMAI,
>DIDASKALOS EQNWN EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi
>
>Does the EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi phrase refer to
>1) the content of the teaching, so that Paul is teaching the faith/doctrine
>and truth (or the true faith/doctrine)
>2) the manner in which Paul is the herald, apostle and teacher, that is
>characterized by faith(fulness) and truth(fulness).
-----

Seems to me that Manner is already covered by ALHQEIAN LEGW OU YEUDOMAI.
I would vote for some combination of Sphere and Content for
the prepositional phrase, as well as opt for the Acensive use of KAI.

"in the sphere of the faith/truth..."

In this context, I take PISTEI as definite.

Mark Wilson