rough breathing

Decker, Rodney rdecker at bbc.edu
Mon Jan 28 15:46:51 EST 2002

An analytical?! That's the old 1852 work by Wigram. I doubt that it will
serve to support an argument that this was common practice as late as 1967!
But yes, it does use a most curious set of markings on words beginning with
ARR-, some of which have *3* breathing marks and an accent. I'd never
noticed it in the analytical (but then I seldom use it), and I've never seen
it anywhere else. The pre-1968 L&S (9th ed.) did not do this, nor did the
even earlier 8th ed. (1897). Does anyone have any historical info that would
explain this odd orthography?

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D.
Associate Prof/NT, Baptist Bible Seminary
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, USA
<http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/>
PURL: <http://purl.oclc.org/NT_Resources/>