future infinitive

Mark DelCogliano cassian at dellepro.com
Sun Jan 27 15:17:38 EST 2002

Thanks to those who have taken a stab at this question. I received an
off-list reply which may be the best explanation: Smyth 2024 notes that
verbs of expectation take the future infinitive in indirect discourse. Thus
to understand the future infinitive in the passage: ...YUCHN KARTWN
hUPOMONHS EMPLHSQHSESQAI PROSDOKOUSAN... as indirect discourse (which fits
the context) would allow a translation like: "...a soul that expects it will
enjoy its fill of the fruits of patience..." as opposed to understanding the
future infinitive as a complementary infinitive, which would be rendered:
"...a soul that expects to (imminently) enjoy its fill of the fruits of
patience..." If I am understanding this correctly, it's one of those subtle
and beautiful nuances that Greek allows.

> Hi.  Do you consult Lampe's Greek Patristic Lexikon( Oxford University
> Press)?    F.J. Weismann

I wish I had easy access to Lampe as I once did--alas! But I think my
difficulty with this passage was more grammatical than lexical.

Mark DelCogliano