John 20:28

Steven Lo Vullo doulos at merr.com
Sat Jan 26 19:39:43 EST 2002

On Saturday, January 26, 2002, at 04:22  PM, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:

> On Friday, January 25, 2002, at 11:13  AM, Randy wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>  I was talking to a person on another forum and he maintained that
>> grammatically HO KYRIOS in John 20:28 was referring to God the Father.
>> Setting aside theological considerations, does the grammer allow for
>> this
>> understanding?
>
> John 20.28: APEKRIQH QWMAS KAI EIPEN AUTWi: hO KURIOS MOU KAI hO QEOS
> MOU.
>
> From a purely grammatical point of view, it seems highly unlikely that
> Thomas was addressing anyone but Jesus. AUTWi ("to him") no doubt
> refers to Jesus, since it is the indirect object of APEKRIQH
> ("answered') and EIPEN ("said"). The only person in the context whom
> Thomas could have "answered" and "said" something to is Jesus, who in
> the previous verse said, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach
> out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.” This
> being the case, it is also important to understand also that hO KURIOS
> MOU KAI hO QEOS MOU is a direct statement which is the object of the
> verbs of communication APEKRIQH ("answered") and EIPEN ("said"). AUTWi,
> as I said, is grammatically the indirect object. So, to bring this out
> in more awkward English, we may render, "Thomas answered and said 'My
> Lord and my God' to him [Jesus]."

One correction to the above. AUTWI is the indirect object of EIPEN only
(not APEKRIQH also), and hO KURIOS MOU KAI hO QEOS MOU is the direct
object of EIPEN only (not APEKRIQH also). This, however, does not alter
the above points, since APEKRIQH and EIPEN are joined by KAI, and the
person Thomas "answered" is the same person to whom  he "said" the
following words. Sorry for the error.