I Cor. 7.15b

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Jan 25 15:44:38 EST 2002

At 3:23 PM -0500 1/25/02, Marc McDermott wrote:
>Hello, everyone. I have a question regarding 1 Corinthians 7.15, and yes,
>I am asking because this passage is relevant to my own life. I need
>guidance, and since I am not a Greek scholar, I must ask you. Here it is:
>Can 1 Cor. 7.15b be construed as an imperative? In other words, can it be
>translated as such: "Do not become enslaved in such matters, for God has
>called us to peace"? Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
>[Marc McDermott: New list-members please note that BG Protocol
>requires a full-name signature to be appended to messages sent
>to the list.]

The text: EI DE hO APISTOS CWRIZETAI, CWRIZESQW: OU DEDOULWTAI hO ADELFOS H
hH ADELFH EN TOIS TOIOUTOIS; EN DE EIRHNHi KEKLHKEN hUMAS hO QEOS.

The only imperative here is CWRIZESQW ("Let him go his own way/separate").
the second half of the verse is not an imperative but an assertion: "The
brother (= believer) does not stand enslaved nor does the sister in such
circumstances." It might be paraphrased, "A believer, man or woman, is not
subject to servile constraints in such circumstances."

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com