Greek word in the Passover?

Rob Matlack united_by_truth at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 10:24:56 EST 2002

I have run across some material that comments on the Passover Seder that
developed soon after the time of Christ. The argument presented is that the
broken Matzah is called by a Greek word "afikomen" (HFIKOMEN ?, it was not
written in Greek characters) which is supposedly the aorist of "ikneomai"
(IKNEOMAI ??) and means "he came". This does not appear to be a NT verb,
though that in an of itself is not a problem. However, it does seem to have
some other problems: 1) would we not expect a sigma and an alpha in the
aorist form? 2) the -OMEN ending seems to be an active 1st person plural
which would be unusual with a "deponent" verb, wouldn't it? Can anyone shed
any light on this?

Rob Matlack	     united_by_truth at yahoo.com
Minneapolis, KS
"I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ
alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on
it's behalf."--Blaise Pascal