AUTOS/AUTOU

Suelhmc at aol.com Suelhmc at aol.com
Fri Jan 18 18:18:00 EST 2002

Greetings.  My name is Susan and as you may have heard before: "It's all
Greek to me!"  That means I don't know Greek at all.  But I am interested in
only a couple of words that interest me and they are: EPI in conjunction with
AUTOS and EPI in conjunction with AUTOU.

In Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible under EPI, it states that EPI
used with AUTOS means THEREON.

In Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible under AUTOS, it states that
AUTOS used with prepositions can be frequently rendered as THERE(on) as well.

My questions are: 1) Are the words AUTOS and AUTOU very similar? Can they be
used interchangeably? and 2) In Matthew 19:9, I see that the word AUTOU is
used one word before the word EPI.  Would this then take on the meaning of
THEREON in this verse?

I would also like to know why the words "it be" (except it be) in that same
verse are enclosed with brackets in Young's definition of "except".  Does
this mean that the translators introduced those words on their own to
possibly clarify their interpretation and that they do not actually exist?

And one last question:  I do not find the definition for "for" in Matthew
5:32 listed in Young's Concordance. Is that an oversight on their part?  They
do list the word "for" in reference with the other pertinent words (saving
and cause), however I cannot find the actual meaning for "for".

Thank you for whatever knowledge you can impart to me.  If it wasn't for your
website, I wouldn't know who to ask.

Sincerely,
Susan [McMullen: New list-members please note that BG protocol
requires a full-name signature to be appended to messages sent
to the list]
suelhmc at aol.com