Titus 1:6 and Children

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 21:28:49 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/15/2002 2:46:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
iver_larsen at sil.org writes:

> > In Titus 1:6 are found some of the qualifications for being an elder.  It
> > says:
> >
> > EI TIS ESTIN ANEGKLHTOS MIAS GUNAIKOS ANHR TEKNA ECWN PISTA MH EN
> > KATHGORIA ASWTIAS H ANUPOTAKTA.
> >
> > The phrase TEKNA ECWN PISTA has been translated to mean "children that
> are
> > believers".  Since PISTA is the adjective PISTOS could the
> > translation mean "children that are trustworthy"?
>
> Dear Doug,
>
> I understand you to imply that "believers" is a somewhat misleading
> translation in this context, and I think you are right. If one thinks of
> belief as a personal, inner conviction, then the parents cannot control the
> convictions of their children, although they can do much to lead them
> towards faith, mainly by their example, less by their preaching. What Paul
> is looking for is probably the fact that you can learn a lot about parents
> by looking at the behaviour of their children.

One does not need to consider the "children" as being literally the flesh and
blood decendents of the parent.  The term "father" and "child" were used of
the relationship between a teacher and his disciples.  This may be the case
here.  Frederick Weidmann ( _Polycarp and John_, Notre Dame, IN: University
of Notre Dame Press,    1999), pp 84-92, makes precisely this point noting 1
Tim. 1.2 and Tit. 1.4 in this regard. The requirement then becomes:  What
about his pupils?

gfsomsel