Customary, Habitual, General Present Tense

waldo slusher waldoslusher at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 13:49:08 EST 2002

PAS hO PISTEUWN EIS AUTON MH APOLHTAI [John 3:16,
partial]

On page 522 in Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics, by
Daniel B. Wallace, he offers comments on this verse

"In this Gospel, there seems to be a qualitative
distinction between the ongoing act of believing and
the simple fact of believing."

If this statment accurately captures John the
Apostle's intent, would we not expect to find MH
APOLHTAI in a Future Tense? What I am asking is this:
if John is saying the we are to be in the ongoing act
of believing, then "not perishing" will be the
subsequent outcome sometime in the future (after we
demonstrate an ongoing believing)?

As a follow up to my last email on QANATOS, could
someone let me know just what the root QAN means?

Many thanks,

Waldo Slusher
Calgary