Subject Focused Verbs

Paul, Doug Doug.Paul at GDC4S.Com
Wed Jan 9 13:43:09 EST 2002

I have followed with interest the discussions on Middle/Passive voice.  In
trying to understand the idea of a verb being subject focused I have looked
at the following two texts with respect to the word MOICHEUW:

Matt 5:28

"... EGW DE LEGW hUMIN hOTI PAS hO BLEPWN GUNAIKA PROS TO EPIQUMHSAI AUTHN
HDH EMOICEUSEN AUTHN EN TH KARDIA AUTOU."

and

Matt 19:9

"EGW DE hUMIN hOTI hOS AN APOLUSH THN GUNAIKA AUTOU MH EPI PORNEIA KAI
GAMHSH ALLHN MOICATAI"

In Matt 5:28 the verb morphology is active and in Matt 19:9 it is
middle-passive.  The difference I believe is that in Matt 5:28 the point is
the relationship between the action of BLEPW and the action of MOICHEUW.
Where as in Matt 19:9 the focus is on the participants ( or subjects) in the
adultry.  We can discuss the activity in terms of the adultry or in terms of
the adulterers; that determines the choice of morphology.

Does that conclustion seem reasonable?
Doug Paul

doug.paul at GDC4S.com