Ruth 2:1 KAI THi NWEMIN ANHR GNWRIMOS TWi ANDRI AUTHS

Jonathan Robie jwrobie at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 7 12:07:13 EST 2002

At 10:26 AM 1/7/2002 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>What's odd in Greek but fairly
>standard in Hebrew is the double possessive reference of THi NWEMIN and
>AUTHS.

This is extremely helpful. I was trying to establish two relationships, one
between NWEMIN and the ANHR (THi NWEMIN ANHR), and another between NWEMIN
and her husband (GNWRIMOS TWi ANDRI AUTHS).

If I understand you correctly, no direct relationship between NWEMIN and
the ANHR is stated or implied, except that her husband knew him, right? For
instance, this is *not* saying something along the lines of, "and there was
a man whose relationship to Naomi was that she was an acquaintance of her
husband", it is just saying, "and there was a man was an acquaintance of
Naomi's husband"?

In the Ruth 2:1 text, Naomi seems to be emphasized in this first clause,
with the emphasis shifting to the man in the second clause (hO DE ANHR...).
I can't think quite how to express that either in English or by modifying
your more conventional Greek phrasing of this, though ;->

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
jwrobie at mindspring.com

EXISTANTO DE PANTES KAI DIHPOROUN, ALLOS PROS ALLON LEGONTES: TI QELEI
TOUTO EINAI;   -- Acts 2:12

B-Greek (http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek)
B-Hebrew (http://metalab.unc.edu/bhebrew)
Little Greek (http://metalab.unc.edu/koine)