Help with AUTOS

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Fri Sep 28 10:59:52 EDT 2001

Dear Carl,

I agree, of course, with your reply to Art Fox. But in Lk 13:1 AUTOS
seems to be used in a fourth way.

PARHSAN DE TINES EN AUTWi TWi KAIRWi APAGGELLONTES AUTWi PERI TWN
GALILAIWN hWN TO hAIMA PILATOS EMIXEN META TWN QUSIWN AUTWN.

The second and third occurrences of AUTOS are the regular pronominal use
in their respective oblique cases. But the first use in the phrase EN
AUTWi TWi KAIRWi is somewhat unusual. It appears to be intensive in the
predicate position. So A.T. Robertson writes: <<At that very season (EN
AUTWi TWi KAIRWi). Luke's frequent idiom, "at the season itself.">> This
seems to me to be an inadequate explanation. I see AUTWi as not merely
intensive but also demonstrative, like TWiDE or TOUTWi. In fact, AUTWi
combines the intensive and the demonstrative and is equivalent to EN
TOUTWi AUTWi TWI KAIRWi, meaning "at that very time." This would then
constitute a fourth use of AUTOS, i.e., as an instensive form of the
demonstrative pronoun.

What do you think? Can this be correct?

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi -- qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
New Haven, CT USA
Nibai kaurno hwaiteis gadriusando in airtha gaswiltith,
silbo ainata aflifnith: ith jabai gaswiltith, manag akran bairith.