Prominence in Passive Construction with hUPO in Mk 1:9

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 26 21:35:20 EDT 2001

on 9/26/01 3:10 PM, Wayne Leman wrote:

> Clay, I still think you were on the right track, although the track may be
> more than just two rails perfectly spaced. The very fact that there is no
> good reason to have a full noun or pronoun after a participant is introduced
> in a discourse or re-introduced after a certain span is an important
> discourse fact. It reflects cognitive strategies of economy and greater need
> ("motivation", which results is a kind of "prominence") on other information
> (such as individual events) than participants once participants have been
> introduced.

Thanks Wayne for the encouraging words,

I have taken  another close look at Mk:1:1-9. What is happening  in Mk 1:9A,
in discourse terminology, is the re-introduction of the discourse
global-VIP, after a paragraph about John the Baptist (Mk 1:4-8).  Mk 1:9b
then brings the two participants together, Jesus and John the Baptist. What
is significant from a participant reference perspective is the elaborate and
full encoding of the discourse global-VIP in Mk1:9A:

IHSOUS APO NAZARET THS GALILAIAS

This level of encoding exceeds the "full noun phrase" and might require a
more exalted category like the "overly full noun phrase."

The first half Mk 1:9  gets IHSOUS back on in the story and the second half
of the verse takes up the story and moves it forward with some action.

thanks again, greetings,

clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew