Prominence in Passive Construction with hUPO in Mk 1:9

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 26 16:50:24 EDT 2001

Hi Mark,

on 9/26/01 1:03 PM, Mark DelCogliano wrote:

> Can a pronomial inflectional ending really be said to have prominence?

Yes, it has the lowest level of subject encoding possible:

The levels are:  (I doing this from memory so I may miss something)

Full Noun Phrase (most)
Pronoun
Pronominal Verb Inflection (least)

The issue of subject prominence, specifically how it is linked to the level
of subject encoding is a set of relative relationships which can be viewed
as a range from least to most.

This whole topic comes under the subject of "participant reference" in
discussions of Discourse Analysis.

Clearly this is a different issue from  prominence marked by constituent
order. That I believe, was what your original question was about.

> I fear this a bit over me head. Could you explain to me what is meant by 'an
> agentive prepositional phrase in clause final position is [not] MARKED by
> its position'? Does this refer to some sort of 'default' positioning for
> such a prep phrase?

I am not sure I would go so far as to call it a 'default' position. All I am
saying is that a prepositional phrase like hUPW IWANNOU which is used to
indicate agency is not going to attract anyone's attention by being placed
at the end of the clause. I would read over such a clause without even
thinking about the position of hUPW IWANNOU.

Greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew