Linguistic curiosity

Mark O'Brien obrienmb at bigpond.com
Wed Sep 26 01:52:43 EDT 2001

I know this is not directly Greek related, but I suspect that a number of the more linguistically inclined members of the list would find the following article fascinating, and perhaps might even be stimulated to explore the ramifications (if any) for Greek.

In the latest edition of Nature:

"Two physicists may have found a hidden structure in the English language. One can guess the syntactic or grammatical character of a word without knowing its meaning, they say, because different types of word are scattered differently through written texts, rather as certain wild flowers grow in certain parts of a meadow."

http://www.nature.com/nsu/010927/010927-1.html

Best,

Mark O'Brien
Warnbro, Western Australia