Deep Structure Eph 3:7

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Mon Sep 24 02:27:43 EDT 2001

> I went back and read  Levinsohn* (pp. 192-6) just now and have a follow on
> question. Lets suppose that we find in one of Paul's Epistles a chain of
> four clauses each linked with a relative pronoun and each of
> these relative
> pronouns is clearly appositional. Is it feasible that the semantic linkage
> between clause one and clause four might be very weak or even
> non-existent?
>
> In other words lets factor out continuative relatives and just address the
> question of chains of appositional relatives. Is it possible that
> an author could use chains of  appositional relatives with no real
intention of
> linking the semantic content in clause one with the semantic
> content of clause four?

It is the continuative relatives that tend to form chains. If we factor
those out, I am not sure how many appositional ones it is possible to use.
My guess would be that the appositional ones relate around the same general
theme, adding new aspects to it, whereas the others can easily introduce new
themes or new aspects of the same general theme. If someone can find an
example of several appositional relatives, we can certainly look at it.

Iver Larsen