PANTAS ANQRWPOUS

SPegler919 at aol.com SPegler919 at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 20:35:00 EDT 2001

Rapinchuk wrote a recent article for JETS on this phrase, in particular as it
relates to Rom 5:18 (1999 427-441).  Rapinchuk argues that instead of
understanding the phrase as every human being, it should instead by
understood ethnically–Jew and Gentile.

I just reviewed nearly all the occurrences of this phrase in the first
centuries BC and AD in the TLG databank.  Here are my conclusions.

After examining these occurrences, we see that the phrase is usually used in
a similar way to the English "everyone," or the Spanish todo el mundo.  Both
of these expressions are commonly used in a general way that does not include
every human, although they can do so.  When they do, the meaning must be
clarified by the context because of the more common usual casual use.

If I am correct, then the surrounding material must guide us in deciding
whether Paul meant every single human, or most people, or all kinds of
people.

Stephen Pegler
Ph.D. Candidate New Testament
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School