1 Tim. 2:4 --> PANTAS ANQRWPOUS

George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 23 16:25:48 EDT 2001

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."

>From: "Wayne Leman" [heavily snipped and smooshed w/other posts]

>I do not understand PANTAS in 1 Tim. 2:4 to mean "all without exception."
>Perhaps it means more like "the entire set", ...I want to make clear that
>I'm not thinking about enumeration of each individual within a set. ...The
>point is that the author uses specific examples of what he means by PANTWN
>ANQRWPWN, which indicates that he has prayer for individuals in mind and
>that PANTWN ANQRWPWN therefore must mean "all kinds"  rather than "all
>without exception." In light of the fact that this prayer and thanksgiving
>is not simply of the "God-bless-the-whole-wide-world" variety, it is hard
>to take PANTWN as all-inclusive, since it is simply impossible to pray for
>every individual under heaven.

This gets almost medievally convoluted in thinking and talking about what I
always took to be really a simple and obvious meaning - ALL MEN, EVEN KINGS
- not meaning all inclusive - For we all know that there are men we don't
even know exist - But in the sense of NON-EXCLUSION.  We should not even
exclude kings, shocking as that might sound!

Or am I missing the whole point of the discussion?

geo