1 Tim. 2:4 --> PANTAS ANQRWPOUS

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 23 11:40:58 EDT 2001

on 9/22/01 11:16 PM, Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote:

> This comes as a surprise to many, but PAS is rarely used in the NT in the
> sense of "all without exception" with regard to what or whom it describes.
> It is usually limited in one way or another, whether hyperbolic or not.

Yes, a good point. Thank you Steven.

I find it hard to sit here and listen to PAS being discussed as if it had
some sort semantic value which made it function like a mathematical
operator. It does not and it is easy to find lots of examples where it does
not mean "all without exception."

I did a search on PAS + ANQRWPOS in the GNT and the first two examples John
1:9 and 2:10 could not mean "all without exception."

greetings, Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point