1 Tim. 2:4 --> PANTAS ANQRWPOUS

B. Ward Powers bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
Sun Sep 23 00:56:25 EDT 2001

At 07:01 PM 010922 -0700, B. D. Colt wrote:
>On 23 Sep 01, at 9:06, B. Ward Powers wrote:
> >
> > Upon which thought, I would comment to Carl:
> > But in interpreting this passage (which is at the end of the chapter Harry
> > is asking about) we must bear in mind that "through" here - in Greek like
> > in English - can have the meaning "during the experience of", "throughout
> > the whole of the time of"  as much as "by means of", "as a result of".
> >
>Are you referring here to something in a previous verse?  Or am I being
>thick?  I cannot find in this verse anything that I have learnt to
>translate as
>"through."

Carl made a point about a woman being saved "through childbearing", which
comes in 1 Timothy 2:15, which is (as I mentioned) at the end of the
chapter Harry is asking about. This verse has DIA, "through". Carl's
comment could have been read to imply one particular interpretation of DIA
in this verse. I responded to this part of Carl's comments, wishing to draw
attention to the fact that such an interpretation is not the only one which
is possible for DIA here, in verse 15.

Carl's point was about the relationship of the ANQRWPOI being saved in
verse 4 and the GUNH (see verse 14) being saved in verse 15 of the same
chapter - the same verb SWiZW is used in both verses.

Regards,

Ward

                                http://www.netspace.net.au/~bwpowers
Rev Dr B. Ward Powers        Phone (International): 61-2-8714-7255
259A Trafalgar Street          Phone (Australia): (02) 8714-7255
PETERSHAM  NSW  2049      email: bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
AUSTRALIA.                         Director, Tyndale College