1 Tim. 2:4 --> PANTAS ANQRWPOUS

B. Ward Powers bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
Sat Sep 22 19:06:17 EDT 2001

At 05:23 PM 010922 -0400, Carl Conrad wrote:
At 2:45 PM -0400 9/22/01, Harry W. Jones wrote:
 >Dear B-Greekers,
 >
 >Does the phrase, PANTAS ANQRWPOUS in 1Tim. 2:4 mean all of the
 >class known as men or simply a subclass of men. I appreciate
 >any help you can give me on this.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "subclass" of men: plumbers? farmers?
certainly not males only--even if women are to be saved only through
bearing children (2:15).

Upon which thought, I would comment to Carl:
But in interpreting this passage (which is at the end of the chapter Harry
is asking about) we must bear in mind that "through" here - in Greek like
in English - can have the meaning "during the experience of", "throughout
the whole of the time of"  as much as "by means of", "as a result of".

Carl added:
Although "all people" would be better than "all
human beings," I think the English that best conveys the sense of PANTAS
ANQRWPOUS here is "everyone" or "everybody"--"... wants everyone to be
saved."

Upon which I comment:
Very true: I agree. And as not everyone WILL be saved, this indicates that
the will of God is not always done upon earth. Which is why (in the Lord's
Prayer) we pray that it shall be. Because the Almighty Sovereign Lord God
of the Universe has given to us puny humans such a measure of free choice
that we are able to reject his offer of salvation. Such awesome choice!
Such tremendous responsibility! But our understanding of this truth flows
from what Paul says about God's will for PANTAS ANQRWPOUS in verse 4 of
this chapter.

Ward

                                http://www.netspace.net.au/~bwpowers
Rev Dr B. Ward Powers        Phone (International): 61-2-8714-7255
259A Trafalgar Street          Phone (Australia): (02) 8714-7255
PETERSHAM  NSW  2049      email: bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
AUSTRALIA.                         Director, Tyndale College