1 Tim. 2:4 --> PANTAS ANQRWPOUS

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Sep 22 17:23:55 EDT 2001

At 2:45 PM -0400 9/22/01, Harry W. Jones wrote:
>Dear B-Greekers,
>
>Does the phrase, PANTAS ANQRWPOUS in 1Tim. 2:4 mean all of the
>class known as men or simply a subclass of men. I appreciate
>any help you can give me on this.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "subclass" of men: plumbers? farmers?
certainly not males only--even if women are to be saved only through
bearing children (2:15). Although "all people" would be better than "all
human beings," I think the English that best conveys the sense of PANTAS
ANQRWPOUS here is "everyone" or "everybody"--"... wants everyone to be
saved."

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com