Deep Structure Eph 3:7

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 22 12:29:50 EDT 2001

on 9/22/01 12:23 AM, Glenn Blank wrote:

> No, I don't think there is a significant difference between
> understanding the discourse structure as successively embedded as opposed to
> parallel.

Thanks Glen,

I should probably clarify the vague Idea I was toying with, since the off
list responses indicate that it was not very clear. This of course is what a
vague idea is like, not clear.

I was suggesting that given a chain of clauses like:

Clause-A + Rel. PN1 + Clause-B + Rel. PN2 +  Clause-C + Rel. PN3 +
Clause-D + Rel. PN4 +  Clause-E

that relative pronoun #4 (Rel. PN4) links Clause-E to Clause-D, as well as
subordinating Clause-E to Clause-D. However, I doubt that there is much
significance to links past the first level. I don't think that the
subordinatinon of Clause-E to clauses C, B, and A is very significant.

One reason that a relative pronoun might be used rather than a conjunctive
particle to link two clauses is that it forms a tighter conceptual coupling.
However, I am not sure that this conceptual coupling in a book like
Ephesians functions beyond the first link. I have doubts about the
conceptual coupling between Clause-E and Clause-A.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew