Deep Structure Eph 3:7

Glenn Blank glennblank at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 22 03:23:01 EDT 2001

----------
>From: "Wayne Leman" <wayne_leman at sil.org>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [b-greek] Deep Structure Eph 3:7
>Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:06:55 -0600

That could very well have been a Freudian slip -- reading "Paul" sounds to
me much like listening to a lawyer  <grin>

I see your point, Clay.   Lending weight to that idea is the notion that
although the relative pronoun in 3:7 may have as it's antecedent TOU
EUAGGELIOU, which would syntactically subordinate verse 7 to verses 5-6, it
may rather in fact have as its antecedent TWi MUSTHRIWi TOU CRISTOU in verse
4, which would make it parallel to the hO in verse 5, hence construing verse
7 as parallel to verses 5-6, which notion is further bolstered by noting
that the referent of TWi MUSTHRIWi could easily be considered equivalent to
the referent of  TOU EUAGGELIOU.

Now *I'm* starting to sound like a lawyer, so I had better quit while I am
ahead.  No, I don't think there is a significant difference between
understanding the discourse structure as successively embedded as opposed to
parallel.

glenn blank
Pensacola FL